Zone of action
- Peru’s defense minister selects new military chief to lead ops against rebels in jungle region of Cusco. Rebels have recently kidnapped gas pipeline workers and killing military troops/police officers.
- A second military crisis for Peru’s president? As a result of military action that left soldiers and police dead in a zone where armed groups operate from remanants of Sendero Luminoso, President Humala shuffles military high command.
- Uruguay’s army will honor soldiers killed by the Tupamara guerrilla group nearly four decades ago.
- Turbulent succession in Mexico’s armed forces? Groups within the army and navy are trying to move their men into defense and naval minister positions in a new government.
- Is there a culture of corruption in Paraguay’s armed forces? Several members of the army tried to rip-off the state in a scheme to divert subsidized funds.